"Animals are such aggreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

~George Eliot

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Rabies is going down!


I received my third and final preventative Rabies vaccine today! This is a photo of the actual vaccine I received, it's pretty pink, huh? So that wraps up my vaccines, except for the Hep A booster I will receive in September. I'm ready to go!

I do have to decide what to do about the Malaria preventative pills. Malaria is a risk in Nicaragua, but I've heard that taking Chloroquine is actually worse than getting malaria! There is a new drug available, Malarone, that is tolerated better, but when my doctor called the pharmacy to inquire about the price, we discovered that it would cost me another $200. And unfortunately, there is the possibilty that you could contract Malaria while taking the preventative. Right now, as much as I hate using DEET, I'm thinking I will load up with that and take my chances! The information I have says that the area of Rivas has minimal risk for Malaria...anyone have any experience they want to share with Malaria pills?

And please, if you are new to this blog, check out my post on May 4th for ways you can help us make this trip happen, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment