"Animals are such aggreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

~George Eliot

Monday, May 17, 2010

10 days!



I'm sitting at my computer right now, covered in goose bumps. 10 days. That's it. I will be in Nicaragua in 10 days! Everyone keeps asking if I'm excited, and I am, but I'm also a bit nervous and of course, overwhelmed because I am the world's worst packer. It takes me forever to decide what to take, so I should get started now!
The weather in western Colorado has been less than warm, and kind of rainy, so that has allowed me a good excuse to stay inside and read, read, read my Moon Nicaragua handbook. We arrive in Nica before the rest of our World Vets group does, so we plan to go to Granada for the first day and a half. I am currently looking for a cozy, clean and affordable place to stay, of which there seem to be plenty, it's just a matter of choosing one! I have also discovered an invaluable web source for travelers (thank you Robert!!!) called Thorn Tree. It's a forum through Lonely Planet on which people can share advice and tips on travel in different countries. It's a gem, so check it out the next time you travel.
Before I begin packing, I need to unpack my summer clothes! Yet again, cool Colorado weather has prevented me from getting out the tupperware of shorts, skirts and t-shirts that have been living in my basement for the last 7 months. I checked the weather in Granada yesterday and it said the temperature was 87, but felt like 97 because of the humidity. I have a feeling I will melt, but I can't wait! It's been a long winter here in Colorado, and I am ready for a deep thaw! One thing I read, and Lindsay take note of this, is that Nicaragua is located a scant 12 degrees of latitude north of the Equator, so the sun's rays strike the Earth's surface at a more direct angle, meaning you will burn faster and sweat up to twice as much!!! Hope Lindsay has found some 85 spf sunscreen up there in Oregon :)
Well, I have a gazillion things to do so I should run. Remember, we still need donations! You can donate money through the Paypal link on this page or check out the lower post, the Final Push, about the medical supplies needed. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I think it is wonderful that you are going to another country to help dogs there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Donna. We hope it is the first of many trips we take with World Vets and hope you enjoy reading our blog! Give your pups a hug for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking into tanning beds tomorrow!!!! I am going to fry...oh well it's totally worth it ;->

    ReplyDelete